‘He makes me sick’: Stuart Hall’s niece says he had sex with her in his BBC dressing room when she was aged just 14
- Mother-of-three reveals he took advantage of her ‘dysfunctional family’
- The woman, who is now 52, said: ‘He seemed to single me out’
- Hall was jailed for 30 months last year for indecently assaulting 13 girls
- He was then brought back to court and cleared of 15 counts of rape
- Convicted on Friday of indecent assault and he admitted another offence
- Has now been given a further two and a half years for ‘horrible betrayal’
- Sentence means he will not be eligible for release until December next year
Paedophile: Stuart Hall, pictured when he was first charged in late 2012. Today, his niece has revealed she was one of his victims
A niece of disgraced broadcaster Stuart Hall has revealed he had sex with her when she was 14 after taking advantage of her ‘dysfunctional’ family life.
The mother-of-three, now 52, told how the abuse started when she started going with her uncle to the BBC in Manchester on work experience.
Hall – who was also her godfather – plied her with alcohol before abusing her in his dressing room at the corporation’s studios in Oxford Road.
‘He makes me sick,’ she told The Sun.‘The abuse started when I was 14. He seemed to single me out. I would go to the BBC every week for about 18 months and he would sleep with me almost every time.
‘He would get me drunk and have sex with me. Then he would drop me home and come in to see my mum. He even said to my dad once, “Oh don’t worry about the girls, I’m looking after them”.’
The niece, who is now a housing worker living in Derbyshire, said after her parents broke up she was banned from seeing her father’s family – except Hall.
She added that from the age of 10 she was aware that he was ‘very touchy-feely’,
The Sun reported.
Hall was sentenced on Friday to another two years and six months in prison for indecently assaulting an under-age girl.
But a judge has told him he would have received a ‘considerably greater’ sentence if he had been prosecuted under current laws.
The former It’s A Knockout presenter was cleared last week of 15 counts of rape in relation to two women – one of whom was his niece – who claimed they were sexually assaulted by him between 1976 and 1981.
The 84-year-old was convicted by the jury at Preston Crown Court of indecently assaulting one of the complainants when she was under the age of 16, and had earlier pleaded guilty to another indecent assault on the same girl when she was 13.
The charge Hall admitted involved an incident at a dinner party where he crept into his victim’s bedroom and assaulted her.
The married father-of-two is currently serving a 30-month jail term after he pleaded guilty last year to indecently assaulting 13 other young girls, aged between nine and 17, over a 20-year period.
Stuart Hall (centre) became famous in the 1970s when he presented hit TV show It’s A Knockout
The ex-BBC Radio 5 Live football match commentator had not been due for release from that custodial sentence until September.
Hall will not now be eligible for release until December 2015 as today’s sentence will only begin after the end of his current jail term.
Passing sentence, Lord Justice Turner said of his offences: ‘It was an act of vile bravado and horrible betrayal.’
Hall, wearing a dark suit, white shirt and striped tie, was excused from standing as sentence was passed.
The judge said one of the aggravating factors of the offences against the victim was Hall’s initial public denials of guilt.
He added: ‘Your lack of remorse evinced in your prepared statement to the police in which you expressed surprise against all the allegations against you when you knew you had molested her.’
Hall, pictured outside court for a previous hearing, will now not be eligible for release until December 2015
Hall was sentenced to 12 months for the offence he admitted and was given an additional 18 months for the indecent assault of which he was convicted by the jury.He will serve half of the new sentence in custody before he is released on licence.
The judge said that, had Hall committed the dinner party offence in more recent years, his conduct would have been classed as assault by penetration.
It is understood that in Hall’s circumstances that would have led to a minimum eight-year jail term.
Addressing Hall, Mr Justice Turner said: ‘You volunteered to help clean them up. Your real intentions, however, were far darker.
‘You saw their condition not as a cause for concern but as an ideal opportunity to carry out acts of gross sexual molestation on the two girls while they were at least partly incapacitated by drink.’
He went into the girl’s bedroom and sexually assaulted her, the court heard.
‘He would get me drunk and have sex with me. Then he would drop me home and come in to see my mum’
Stuart Hall’s niece
‘She woke up during this ordeal and you continued until at one point you tried to get on top of her,’ he said.
‘Eventually you desisted and left the room. As if this behaviour were not grotesque enough, on the same evening you molested your victim’s friend in the very same way while purporting to give her a bath.
‘The vileness of your conduct on that evening would be difficult to exaggerate. The element of breach of trust was of the utmost gravity.
‘Your victim was well below the age of consent. You carried out your depredations under the roof of her parents and under the camouflage of synthetic concern for the welfare of children.
‘You repaid your friends’ hospitality by cynically defiling their daughter.’
The judge said Hall could have ‘wiped the slate clean’ last summer by admitting this offence earlier.
He told him: ‘You therefore denied yourself the freedom from subsequent prosecution and punishment which a full confession would have given you. To this extent, you are therefore the author of your present situation.’
He went on: ‘I take the view that the fact that you molested two girls in such quick succession sheds an even more sinister light on your offending than was evidenced by the one related offence to which you pleaded guilty last year.
‘It is difficult to resist the conclusion that it must have been with a sense of arrogant and contemptible immunity that you defiled each of these young girls, one in the immediate wake of another.’
Hall, from Wilmslow, Cheshire, did not give evidence at his trial but his defence team did not dispute that he had sexual intercourse with both complainants.
Apart from one occasion when Hall said an alleged rape of one of the girls when she was aged 12 did not take place, his counsel argued the intercourse – when they were were in their mid-teens and he was in his mid-40s – was consensual and that he was not a rapist.
Earlier, Crispin Aylett QC, mitigating, said Hall was a man in his 80s who had been brought to account for offences committed more than 30 years ago and had now faced three separate sets of proceedings.
Mr Aylett continued: ‘That would have been intolerable for anyone but for a man of 84, facing the prospect of dying in prison, the burden can scarcely be imagined.’
‘He’s been punished, he’s been disgraced and for what it’s worth, he’s been financially ruined and I say on his behalf, enough is enough.’