port glasgow nonce

Daniel Williamson – Greenock/Port Glasgow

October 2014

PORT man sexually abused a five-year-old girl while she played computer games in his bedroom


Evil Daniel Williamson, 33, told the terrified child that her grandad would die if she told anyone about what had happened.

He abused her and another child over several years at addresses in Greenock and Port Glasgow, beginning in 1997.

But Williamson will NOT be jailed for the vile crimes — as he was deemed unfit to stand trial due to his ‘mental fitness’.

Instead, an ‘examination of facts’ case was heard at Greenock Sheriff Court in which Sheriff Derek Hamilton ruled that Williamson had committed the offences.

He heard evidence from both victims, who bravely took to the witness box to describe what happened to them.

Their evidence was so harrowing that some family members left the courtroom in tears.

Williamson, of Lilybank Road, showed no emotion throughout the two day hearing.

One of his victims, now aged 19, told depute fiscal Pamela Brady that she visited the home of a relative at weekends where Williamson was staying at the time.


Much of the abuse she recounted in court is too upsetting to be published.

She said: “I was in the house and would be asked to keep Daniel company and play the PlayStation with him upstairs in a bedroom.

“He would set up PlayStation and play it himself and then show me. His hands would clutch the inside of my leg.

“The first time (it happened) he told me that if I told anyone I wouldn’t see my dad again and that it was our secret.”

Williamson also told the girl that her ‘grandad would die’ if she revealed the abuse and she said she remembered his ‘heavy breathing’.

Police took action against the former taxi driver after one of the girls first told her mum about the abuse when she was aged 16.

It led to an investigation in which the Crown produced three charges against Williamson, all of which he denied.

The first stated that on various occasions between April 1997 and April 2000 he used lewd, indecent and libidinous practices and behaviour towards a girl then aged between four and six at an address in Grant Street, Greenock.

Another charge stated that he used the same practices and behaviour against another girl, then aged between four and seven, on various occasions between February 2000 and February 2002 at the same address.

A third charge stated that between February 2004 and February 2005 he used the same practices and behaviour against that same girl, then aged between eight and nine, at an address in Lilybank Road in Port Glasgow.

The girls’ mums gave evidence during the two-day hearing and confirmed that their daughters had been at the homes on the dates concerned.

The abuse happened unbeknownst to Williamson’s relatives, who were inside the addresses at the time of the offences.

A police officer gave evidence in which he described carrying out a video identity parade with the victims.

He said both girls separately identified Williamson as their abuser from photographs of nine men.

When asked by the officer what he had done to them, one said: “He used to take me up the stairs and make me play the PlayStation and touch me inappropriately.”

The other girl told him: “He sexually abused me, he took my childhood.”

Ms Brady, summing up the case against Williamson, told the court about the ‘distress’ the abuse had caused the girls.

She said: “There is a pattern here and the abuse progressed.

“He told the girls it was their secret and told one that her grandad would die.

“The child felt too frightened to disclose this.

“One of the victims struggled with this and realised it was wrong when she got older. She told her mother when she was 16.”

Solicitor John McElroy told Sheriff Hamilton that there had been three reports from ‘eminent psychologists’ into the mental fitness of Williamson and that the defence and Crown agreed that he was unfit for trial.

He also referred to evidence that the girls had spoken to each other about the abuse ahead of the trial.

Sheriff Hamilton said: “We are dealing with events going back a possible 17 years involving people who were children at the time.

“It’s clear that memories can be distorted and can fade over the passage of time.

“Was there discussion about the events? Of course there was, there’s nothing sinister or unusual about that at all.

“I have come to the conclusion that both witnesses gave clear and compelling evidence about what happened.”

Sheriff Hamilton added that he was ‘satisfied beyond reasonable doubt’ that the abuse had occurred.

He called for two medical reports and a further report from a mental health officer ahead of sentencing next month.

Williamson has been placed on the sex offenders register.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: